One of my new year’s resolution is to make my household as natural as possible. By the end of the year I want to be using mostly natural and homemade beauty and cleaning products. Not too mention the amount of money we will be saving. I have a DIY Natural Living Pinterest board here, if you want to follow me. I’ve pinned tons of natural and homemade products there. Every recipe I make, I will post here and let you know how good or bad they are.
This past weekend I made this Vanilla Body Butter recipe I got from this blog. However, I changed my recipe a bit using ingredients I already had at home. Instead of using cocoa butter and sweet almond oil, I used shea butter and jojoba oil instead and it turned out VERY nice. This is a very thick butter so I will not use it on my face. The shea butter immediately melts on my hands and its smooth to apply leaving my skin super hydrated and soft. According to the recipe source, it keeps for 6 months.
The one thing I would do differently next time I make this is to add way more Vanilla oil, as the shea butter covered the smell a bit.
- 1 cup cocoa or shea butter ( I used shea butter)
- 2 1/2 to 3 tsbp sweet almond oil ( I used jojoba oil)
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essential oil
- glass bowl , spatula and pot holders
- hand mixer
- container for storage
- Carefully melt and then carefully remove coco/shea butter from stove.
- Allow it to cool for around 15 minutes.
- Add oils and use hand mixer to mix to together.
- Put bowl in freezer for about 20 minutes so it can solidify.
- Use the hand mixer again and mix until butter consistency.
- Store in a resealable container.